Tuesday

What were your reactions to reading a novel written in verse, like Make Lemonade?

What do you think about this style and format for novels generally? Is there something particular about younger readers that makes this choice on an author's part appropriate or appealing?

I thought it was very interesting to read a book written like Make Lemonade. I had never read a novel written like poetry before. I think books written like this can engage readers in ways different from other books. For example, a child who prefers to read shorter pieces may prefer a book written in poems, because the chapters are short. You can return to the novel at any time to continue reading. Furthermore, children who dislike poetry all together may find poetry like Make Lemonade interesting and enticing. Reading a novel in poetry may get the child to become more interested in poetry.

As for the style and format of the novel, I felt it was particularly creative. I really enjoyed how each poem was able to stand alone, but each poem was also able to come together to make a novel. I understood the writer's choice for the simple vocabulary that was used, but I felt it made the novel more difficult to read. Perhaps younger readers would not have picked up on this. Or it is quite possible that the story would not have fit so well without the slang used.

Once again, I definitely feel that the short poems would make this book an easier read for some readers. I remember trying to read books in elementary school and being overwhelmed by how many pages a chapter could contain. Actually, I still notice this occasionally. The short poems make the chapters easy to get through which inevitably makes the book easier to get through. Like I said above, I also feel that the poems could engage readers who do not like poetry. The poetry makes Make Lemonade different from the majority of teen and young adult books. It makes the book stand out. On the author's part, this is a good selling point.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you that these poems can engage those who don't like poetry.
    I was never much of a poetry fan (and I'm still not really), but the format was inviting much like other books written in this kind of free verse poetry.
    Your point about these poems being able to stand alone is also a good one. As evidenced in class, it's very easy to read one of these poems as separate from the rest of the work.

    ReplyDelete