The thing that struck me about this book was the eneromous transformation the main character goes through. I think the author did a great job in allowing readers today to be able to relate to the main chracter. Furthermore, I saw a transformation in the book as it went from happy, go lucky, perfect world to something much darker. While I did feel the book could have more successfully been darker at the end and the author could have easily transformed the book into an adult novel, I very much enjoyed it as is.
It seems that the national book award is given to authors who encourage young adult reading, and I feel this book did this. It is a mystery which, while I can't speak for others, I loved as a young adult. It is a page turner and gets young adults involved in history. The author also did well in showing how the main chacracter changes and grows both in the writing and how the main chracter reacts to different situations. This makes book the book very relatable.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I wholly agree that mysteries are very appealing to a lot of YA readers. There's no other excuse for the longevity of the Nancy Drew franchise.
ReplyDeleteI also agree that the novel could have easily been an adult novel. A simple change in vocabulary would have quickly transformed the novel from YA to adult.