When you compare your views about literature written for children and young adults before this course began to what you are thinking now, what would you say has changed for you?
Honestly, I feel like I haven't really had a chance for my thoughts before the course to change completely from what they are now. I suppose this course has allowed me to look at the things that separate children's and young adult literature from adult literature. I have been able to see the merit placed in both the illustrations as well as the text. I also was surprised to see a book written like The Invention of Hugo Cabaret that combined pictures and words in such a way that was unique to the style of silent films. This book allowed me to see young adult literature in a more unique/artistic way. I very much enjoy seeing children's and young adult books that bring art into the book. I feel it gives the book more meaning and creates depth in such a way that an adult can enjoy it as easily as a child.
As the course progresses, I would like to look at children's books more in depth. Are there certain themes that children's books have that adult books do not? Are the most successful children's picture books, as simple as they are, more "deep" than most adults perceive them to be? Are the ideas we study in a college litereature course important to teaching a kindergarten class?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I find that this course has already started to change my opinion about children’s literature. I must say I had never really conceptualized just how much work is put into a children’s book. I have started to appreciate the differences you noted in post between children and adult literature. I also agree with your point about bringing art into the books. I have really started enjoying many picture books not just for the text but for the art they bring with it. The Invention of Hugo Cabret does bring this unique quality, and I think this adds a whole new dimension to what children’s books can be. Like you mentioned, this course is just beginning and we have a long way to go before we are done. Maybe by the end of the course some of your questions will finally be answered.
ReplyDelete