Wednesday

Question 10

Which of the books that you've read this semester has had the most "impact" on you, e.g., which one won't you forget or which one surprised you the most or which one made you think about new ideas?

The book that had the most impact on me this semester was What I Saw and How I Lied. The book sounded like something written during the present time, This was without having read the summary or anything about the book. It sounded like a novel written like it would be written in the style of Alexie's book. Therefore I was surprised to find that it was a book with the story written in the past.

When I started to read the book, I was expecting quite a bit from the book that it did not offer. I expected the book to be a deconstruction of the 1950's life. I thought the book/main character would begin the story believing everything about the typical "Leave It to Beaver" 1950's perfect life but that she would find herself "awakened" to reality. In the author's own way, she succeed at doing this. However, I feel that the author could have done much better at ending the novel with that result, had she wanted to.

This novel, I felt, was more simple than I had hoped. The novel did not slowly end, and I did not really see much great importance in the main character's lie. I felt the author could have explored more about what the lie did to the main character and how her whole way of looking at the world was shattered. The author kept the book simple though. It was a slightly disappointing end for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment